Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Leonard Vernon 1918-2007

I learned today that my dear friend and patron Leonard Vernon passed away Friday.

The last time I spoke to Leonard was back in the Spring and his voice was full of happiness and excitement. His remark that he was busier than ever led me to believe that he was going to be very busy for quite some time.

So needless to say I was shocked when I got the email from my friend Jim Stern that he saw it in the LA Times obit section. Why Jim reads that is beyond me, but thank goodness he does.

Leonard and his late wife Marjorie have one of the most recognized collections of photography. They've loaned their collection to most every important museum in America and overseas. Heavy in the modernist side,especially Western landscapes, the collection has some of the pristine examples of works by Weston,Adams,Strand,Cunningham and Watkins.

Along with the Pages, the Vernons were the first of my "big" time collectors-patrons. I think there are close to 40 photographs of mine in their collection.

I will miss you my dear friend.

Rest in Peace and give Marjorie a big hug for me.