Monday, August 28, 2006

From The Flat Files

Albany,NY 2001

This selection is a sampling of my continued interest in photographing my family and people in general.I first started taking portraits with a view camera back in 1979. Working first with a 5x7 then eventually an 8x10 Deardorff. The incredible detail and tonal structure of the contact print was intoxicating.At first the sittings were awkward due to the cumbersome nature of such a large bellows camera,but eventually I developed a finess for it. By the mid 1990's I realized that I was missing out on wonderful opportunities due to not having the 8x10 ready to go at a moments notice.To remedy this, I started working with both the venerable Rolleiflex and Leica, which immediately introduced a dimension to my work that was not so much lacking but welcomed.

No comments: