Friday, October 09, 2009

Walker Evans was Here

Hudson Storefront, 1996 Michael Lardizabal 8x10 in silver gelatin contact print













Walker Evans, Warren St ? Hudson NY

1933-34










I need to thank Melissa Stafford who's the director at Carrie Haddad Photographs in Hudson, NY who I just saw this afternoon for pointing out to me that Walker Evans worked in Hudson .




Hudson is near and dear to my heart since its only 15-20 mins from where I live and is truly an American jewel.



All those years I studied Evans' work at the Getty Museum study room I never came across any of the Hudson material, but it seems as if the Metropolitan has a group in theirs but didn't end up in the major Evans book they did.





Here's one of my favorites from the Hudson group at the Met and one of mine from Hudson.

According to the annotation attached to the archive it was made w/ a 35mm camera, so at that time Evans had both a Contax II and a Leica IIIC. I have to admit I would've loved to have seen the old man prowling the alleys and streets of Depression era Hudson w/ a Leica on his neck.